Recipe: Roast Shawarma Cauliflower Steak
by Pure, Quinta do LagoVibrant, tasty Cauliflower Steak recipe by Pure, Quinta do Lago. Roasted vegetables and a tangy chutney packed with flavour and goodness. Delivers more than your five a day.
Pure, located at Roundabout 2 in Quinta do Lago is all about healthy, tasty food. Aside from great breakfast and lunch options, Pure also offers a range of fresh juices and freshly baked breads and pastries. Check out the Pure Take Away service that is available so you can take some goodness home.
Portugal is known for its fabulous seafood. But if you have enjoyed the simple but undeniable pleasures of an Algarve tomato salad, where the tomatoes have more flavour than those of us not fortunate to have been raised in the Algarve knew was possible, you will know that the vegetables are pretty good too.
Below is a recipe for Cauliflower Steak, with video, using locally grown vegetables and herbs, with some additonal spices to keep things interesting.
Check out this list of top Portuguese foods to whet your appetite.
Find more food recipes.
Roast Shawarma Cauliflower Steak with Pure Green Chutney
1 head of cauliflower – sliced 3cm thick, keep the stalk on at the bottom to hold it together and create the “steak”
15 ml rapeseed oil
14g maple syrup
6g Shawarma spice (ground cinnamon, turmeric, ginger, smoked paprika, cumin, coriander, cardamom)
PURE GREEN CHUTNEY
3 garlic cloves – peeled, chopped
1 lime, juiced
10g maple syrup
½ avocado – de-stoned, peeled, diced
Courgette - diced
Aubergine - diced
Peppers - diced
Butternut squash – diced
Plum tomatoes – diced
15ml rapeseed oil 1.
1. Pre heat oven to approx. 400F/204C 2.
2. Place cauliflower “steak” on one side of a baking tray
3. Gently, coat cauliflower with, salt, maple syrup shawarma spice
4. Pour oil over the diced vegetables
5. Add diced vegetables on the other side of the baking tray
6. Roast for 20-25 minutes, halfway through turn over cauliflower
7. Add the cherry tomatoes on top of the diced vegetables
8. PURE chutney – blend all ingredients. Add a little water until a creamy sauce is formed
9. Place cauliflower onto a plate. Spoon roasted diced vegetables on top.
10. Sprinkle torn basil on top
11. Add PURE green chutney
You can add salmon or roast chicken breast on top if you wish.
This recipe was published by Quinta do Lago