Portugal Taxation Information
What you need to know about tax in Portugal
If you are moving to Portugal, own or plan to buy property there, you need to know about Portuguese tax. Find out about NHR - non-habitual tax, tax free pensions, capital gains and more.
To the uninitiated, and for many Algarve expats, the obligations and opportunities of tax in Portugal can be confusing. There is expert advice available that can ensure that whether you are planning to retire to the Algarve, set up business here or just spend part of the year here, you can do so in the most tax-efficient and legal way possible.
Recently, many people have opted to move to Portugal, particularly to the Algarve, to enjoy not only the fabulous lifestyle but also the very attractive tax incentives. The NHR - Non-Habitual Resident tax regime makes it possible for foreign pensions to be received almost tax-free in Portugal. There are also other foreign-generated incomes that receive significant tax breaks.
Expert advice is essential to ensure all obligations are met and all opportunities are seized.
Follow the links below for information from Algarve tax and financial services consultancies on a range of topics.
Introduction to Tax in Portugal
A guide to tax in Portugal, covering income tax, capital gains tax and more. Free downloadable guides, by Blevins Franks.
NHR - Non-Habitual Resident tax scheme
Portugal's Non Habitual Resident scheme offers some very attractive tax advantages, new residents very attractive tax advantages. Some foreign income will be exempt from Portuguese tax; foreign pension income benefits from a special fixed low tax rate, and local ‘high value’ employment is also taxed at a lower rate than usual.
- A guide to NHR by Blevins Franks
- Tax free foreign pensions? by All Finance Matters
- Changes to NHR tax benefits by Blevins Franks
- NHR - Move to Portugal to pay little to no income tax? by All Finance Matters
- Think beyond Residency - smart financial planning by Blevins Franks
- Tax Free Pension Transfers - check your options before time runs out. By Blevins Franks
- Mazimizing your UK pensions in Portugal - download the Blevins Franks guide here:
Property Taxes and Captial Gains Tax
- All you need to know about Capital Gains Tax in Portugal by All Finance Matters
- 6 things you need to know about property and taxes in Portugal, by Blevins Franks
- How much Capital Gains tax will you pay? by Blevins Franks
- IMI Property Tax: 10 Questions Answered by All Finance Matters
Setting up Business in Portugal
- Step by step guide to starting a business in Portugal by All Finance Matters
Your Financial Health
- Preparing your finances for the unexpected by Blevins Franks
- Looking after your financial wellbeing by Blevins Franks
- Brexit: will UK assets invite a bigger tax bill? by Blevins Franks
- Estate Planning in Portugal - What you need to know by Blevins Franks
- Brexit: UK banks withdrawing services from expats by Blevins Franks
- Estate Planning - 3 mistake to avoid by Blevins Franks
- Think Local: Financial Planning post Brexit by Blevins Franks
- Make your money last your retirement: 5 questions to ask by Blevins Franks
- How safe are your savings? by Blevins Franks
- Irs - Personal Income Tax in Portugal
- Important Dates on the Portuguese Tax Calendar - 2021
- UK Nationals - what you need to know about Portuguese tax in 2021
YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE
- Making the Move to the Algarve
- Top 10 Reasons to Retire to the Algarve
- Financial Services in the Algarve
- Brexit: British Nationals living in Portugal
- Portugal is the world's Leading Destination 2017
- Setting up a Holiday Home in Portugal
- Top Tips for Buying and Selling Algarve Property