The Algarve - A Golfer's Paradise
5 Reasons why the Algarve is a top golf destination
5 reasons why the Algarve is a top golf destination. Award winning golf courses and excellent golf services, beautiful scenery, plenty of after golf entertainment and ease of travel are what make the Algarve one of the most sought after golf destinations in the world. In 2017, the World Golf Awards - the Oscars of tourism - has named Portugal as the World and Europe's Best Golf Destination four years in a row and Quinta do Lago South course was named the Best Course in Portugal. In 2018 the prestigious Today's Golfer magazine declared the Algarve the Best Golf Destination in Continental Europe and the Best Value Golf Destination in Continental Europe.
1. Golf Courses: Golf in the Algarve has never been more popular, with over 30 world class golf courses offering a mix of terrain and conditions to appeal to the broadest spectrum of golfers. It was the legendary Henry Cotton who first placed the Algarve firmly on the golfing map of the world, designing the course at Penina, Portimão. The famous 16th at Vale do Lobo Royal golf course is among the most photographed in the world - a stunning par 3 over the cliffs. The East Algarve now has some excellent courses too, Quinta do Vale , Benamor, Monte Rei and Castro Marim. Quinta do Lago continues to be one of the favoured golf destinations in the Algarve, not just for the fabulous courses but for the outstanding ancillary services at the Driving Range, The Campus and the top notch after-golf fun at The Shack, Bovino or Casa do Lago.
Quinta do Lago North Course
2. Climate: The Algarve weather was made for golf. With over 300 days of sunshine per year and very agreeable temperatures, the chances of a golfing holiday in the Algarve being ruined by bad weather are slim. Spring and autumn are the best seasons for golf. Temperatures range from 15 – 20ºC with plenty of sunshine. Winters are generally mild, the average temperature around 15ºC. During the peak of summer months, there are often great deals on early morning or twilight tee times with the Pestana golf courses offering particularly good deals.
3. Accommodation: the choice of accommodation in the Algarve is vast. Opt for luxury golfing resorts with golf courses on the doorstep or for all-in packages which include golf and accommodation at various Pestana hotels. In Quinta do Lago golfers love to stay at The Magnolia Hotel. Not only is the accommodation stylish and fun, there is free transport to the Quinta do Lago courses, The Campus and the various restaurants and bars in the resort. Renting a villa is an increasingly popular option, combining comfort and privacy in one package. Blue Sky Villas have a great range of villas on offer in Vale do Lobo, Quinta do Lago and Vilamoura and there are some sumptuous villas available in Quinta do Lago too.
The Magnolia Hotel
4. Restaurants and Nightlife: A hard day’s golfing deserves the reward of some excellent food and relaxation. The Algarve is home to a huge number of restaurants from those boasting Michelin Stars to humble local “tascas” and everything in between – sushi restaurants, steak houses, seafood , Indian, traditional Portuguese and gourmet. The lively nightlife provides something for most tastes too – sports bars, chic lounge bars, beach clubs and nightclubs.
5. Because it’s easy: There are several low cost airlines offering routes into Faro airport. The flight time is under 3 hours from European cities. Once landed at Faro, pretty much any location on the coast is under an hour's drive away. There are excellent car hire deals as well as transfer services available, all bookable online before you travel. English is widely (and well) spoken, and so is German, French and Spanish.
Pestana Gramacho course
YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE
Best Golf Courses in Algarve
Golf Courses in Algarve
Golf Services in Algarve
Portugal Masters 2016