Covid tests in Algarve, Portugal. Where to test? How much do tests cost?
CURRENT REQUIREMENTS TO ENTER PORTUGAL
Note: the NHS COVID Pass or EU digital COVID vaccination certificate must show you have been fully vaccinated with an EU approved COVID-19 vaccine at least 14 days before travel.
UPDATE - valid from 1st July 2022
- Passengers entering Portugal no longer need to show a negative Covid test nor a vaccine certificate nor a recovery certificate.
- In brief, no tests or certs required.
RETURNING TO UK FROM PORTUGAL
Update March 2022 -valid from Friday, 18th March at 04.00h
- The UK government has lifted all Covid travel regulations.
- No passenger locater forms required
- No tests required regardless of vaccination status
- No vaccination certificates required.
Covid 19 tests for travel to Portugal
- The Algarve Tourism board has compiled a list of test providers and approved rapid test sites which you can see here.
- The Tourism board has also established a helpline for tourists with this and other relevant information.
- Open daily from 08:00 to 20:00h, call 00 351 931 125 106 or 00 351 289 818 582
- Check the information provided by the Algarve Tourism board here - there is information on the type of tests required and also the rules regarding social distancing etc while in Portugal.
Tests can be obtained via the SNS ServiÃço Nacional de Saúde for those who are displaying symptoms or who have been in close contact with a person infected with Covid 19.
Tests can also be arranged independently, through private and public health providers. There are several Covid 19 test locations in the Algarve.
Private and Public Covid 19 Tests
Covid 19 Test via the SNS
Generally, these tests will be provided free of charge by participating laboratories, when referred by the SNS.
- You can see the full list of laboratories and contact details here. To see the English version, click the globe icon near the top of the page.
If you have been exposed to Covid 19 or are displaying symptoms, call Portugalâs national healthline on 808 24 24 24. There is an English language option available. If required, you can then be referred for a test.
Private Covid 19 Test
Without going through the national health service, there are several healthcare providers offering Covid 19 tests in the Algarve. If you need to travel or require a test for any reason, these private testing centres can provide that service. The tests need to be booked in advance and they are not free. Prices range from €50 to €150 per test and results are generally available within 24 - 48hrs.
Tests can be booked online or by phone with each provider. Please read the information from each provider as their protocols and prices may vary.
- See a list of private Covid test centres, times and contacts here.
Covid tests at Faro airport.
The Synlabs group provides private Covid testing in several locations in the Algarve, including Faro airport.
Rapid Antigen tests (results in 30 minutes to 1 hour) are available. Ensure these tests are accepted by the airline you will travel with and upon arrival at your destination.
Advance booking is essential.
Tel: +351 289 821 002
PCR tests (results in 3.5 hours) are available at Synlabs other locations - see here.
Scroll to the section on Zona Sul.
Some private Covid 19 test providers (a few examples, many clinics can provide tests):
Covid 19 testing is available at their Alvor and Faro hospitals, also at São Camilo in Portimão, São Gonçalo in Lagos, at São Bras de Alportel and at the Centro Medico Internacional in Vila Real de S. António.
HPA also offers a Covid 19 Drive Thru test at PortimÃ£o arena. Booked in advance, simply drive to the test centre and be tested while seated in your car. A maximum of 3 people can be tested in each car.
Testing is available at LusÃadas Albufeira and Faro. Advance booking is required. Price €100.
SE Consultório Medico
This clinic in PortimÃ£o offers PCR tests, apt for travel, with results given almost instantly.
Advance booking is essential.
Many laboratories will carry out paid Covid 19 tests for individuals without referrals from the SNS. Check the list of laboratories (link above) to find one near you.
Visiting the Algarve this summer?
Best Beach Bars in the Algarve
Top Romantic Restaurants Algarve
Best Beaches to escape the crowds
Why the Algarve should be your top travel destination this summer
Unusual things to do in the Algarve
Things you didn't know about Portugal
All information is correct at time of publication, however please bear in mind that the situation is constantly evolving. For travel, please do check the official advice issued by each government for travel from and to specific countries.