My Guide Website?
Portimão: Dolphin Watch & Benagil Caves with Biologist Guide83 Reviews
Experience 2 activities in 1 on this Benagil caves tour. See rock formations along the Algarve coast from your boat, try and spot dolphins and birds in their natural habitat, and stop off for a swim.
Our Top Experiences and Tours in Algarve:If youʻre booking your trip to Algarve last minute, we have you covered. Below are some of the top tours and experiences!
- Algarve: Jeep Safari with Distillery Visit & Lunch
- Albufeira: Off-road Quad Bike Adventure
- Albufeira: MiniGolf Adventure Park Entry Ticket
- From Faro: 4 Stops, 3 Islands in Ria Formosa Catamaran Tour
- Portimão: Pirate Ship Cave Cruise
- Learn about the marine species sighted, from a Biologist and multilingual guide
- Venture out into open sea and keep eyes peeled searching for cetaceans
- Travel into the heart of Benagil Cave and many other stunning rock formations
- Enjoy swimming in the blue sea and crystalline water at a tranquil bay
- Experience unforgettable moments as dolphins may play and swim around the boat
DescriptionEnjoy a 2 in 1 boat tour departing from Portimão and lasting up to 2.5 hours. Explore the Algarve coastline and the mesmerizing rock formations, desert beaches and enter the famous Benagil cave. Feel the excitement as you navigate through open waters, searching for wild dolphins in their natural habitat! You'll have the opportunity to explore up to 5–6 caves (depending on tide levels) that dot the coastline, including the breathtaking Benagil Cave. The experienced and multilingual crew will ensure your safety and provide you with fascinating insights into the history, secrets and geology of the stunning rock formations along the way. As you venture out into the open sea, keep your eyes peeled for the dolphins, as they may play and swim around the boat. The most sighted species are the 'Common Dolphin' (Delphinus delphis) and the 'Bottlenose Dolphin' (Tursiops truncatus). The Biologist guide will interpret the species observed and their behaviour, and you can even open a species guide on your phone. As education plays a vital role in conservation, count on valuable information about the marine animals, their behaviour, and the marine environment. Algarve waters teem with biodiversity, and therefore other marine species such as seabirds like the “Northern Gannet” (Morus bassanus), “European Shag” (Phalacrocorax aristotelis) or the “Peregrine Falcon” (Falco peregrinus); and jellyfish will also be spotted. (Sharks, whales, and turtles are very rare, so we don't even mention them!) Be ready for a marine adventure and be open to an unpredictable, and unique experience: The magic of observing dolphins and other marine creatures in their natural environment is thrilling and indescribable. But it is important to understand that these encounters are with unpredictable wild animals that roam freely in their natural habitat, the Atlantic Ocean. They cannot be summoned or controlled. Also, sea conditions, weather, and other natural factors can affect visibility and the likelihood of sightings. Sometimes, dolphins may be farther away, less active, or unsocial. Although this tour depends on Nature, it is a team effort with other companies equally accredited by the ICNF (Institute for the Conservation of Nature and Forests), thus maximizing the possibilities of sighting. Before returning to Portimão, you can jump off the boat and swim at a beautiful and tranquil bay, which is chosen on the day based on the sea and weather conditions. Get ready for an experience of a lifetime and unforgettable memories!
IncludesFree car park at the meeting point WC Toilet at the boarding gate Tour guide - English, Portuguese, Spanish and French speaking Safety briefing Experienced captain Life jackets Insurance Bottled water Biologist on board Dolphin search Benagil Cave & other caves along the way Praia da Marinha Stop for Swimming
- If safety conditions are not assured, the tour will be cancelled & rescheduled, or a full refund provided The activity provider is fully licensed (AOC/27/2023) and trained for responsible cetaceans observation A mascot comes on board on most tours. If you want to bring a pet, please contact the activity provider